Monday, June 28, 2010

From Mt. Maarat to Mt. Samat

Last Saturday, I climbed Mt. Maarat in San Mateo, Rizal. Today, I climbed another mountain - the Mt. Samat in Pilar, Bataan.

Yesterday morning, my family went to Balanga, Bataan to visit my sister-in-law and her family. I brought my bike. And, I planned either to climb Mt. Samat again or taste the long and winding road to Bagac.

We arrived at my sis-in-law' place at about 11:00 am. And, we're treated with a hearty lunch. With the volume of food, I thought there's some celebration - a birthday or fiesta. There's none!

Steamed fish topped with mayonnaise, boiled eggs and pickles

Adobong pusit

Ginataang hipon

Beef with corn

Tokwa't goto

Fried pugo



My sister-in-law, our generous hostess, in the middle flanked by (R-L) wifey, son Luigi, daughter Jaja, & Jaja's friend - Jonathan

Thank you Ate Tatie for the sumptuous and hearty meal.

I wasn't able to control myself and indulged. I was so full and rested for sometime. I thought I couldn't bike anymore. And, I napped. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I woke up after about 20 minutes. Still full, I needed to burn it. And, I prepared to bike.

It's good I already have a bike rack; otherwise, I couldn't bring my bike. Or, I would pedal all the way again. He he . . .

I started pedaling towards Pilar at around 1:00 pm. Along the highway, I saw the cross calling. So, I decided on climbing it again. The last time I climbed it was last Christmas for my Christmas ride.

The Dambana ng Kagitingan Arch at the foot of the mountain. It's about 10 kilometers from my sis-in-law's place and about 7 kilometers to the Dambana ng Kagitingan.

My first stop / rest at Km 3 to DK since the arch. The weather was conducive. No rain; and, the sun hid most of the time. I thought I could pedal all the way up without stopping. It's more than halfway - it's okay! The last time, I did it with 5 or 6 stops.

My second stop / rest after the last curve and before reaching the gate. I ran out of breath and power.

I reached the peak at around 3:00 pm.

After an hour of rest and beer-hydration while enjoying the breeze and the overlooking views, I started my descent.

The long downhill rush was superb. At the foot, I thought of climbing again but decided not.

We left Balanga at about 8:30 pm. I repositioned my bike in the rack. Instead of hanging by the top tube, I hanged it by the down tube to avoid clipping the cables under the top tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment