Sunday, November 7, 2010

Shotgun in 47 minutes; Timberland 24 minutes

Last Sunday, I climbed Timberland Heights via the Wall with my TweetyPot (Marin Alpine Trail - a 29er) and recorded my time at 24 minutes.

Yesterday morning, riding my AlitePot (KHS Alite 150 - a 26er), I went to San Mateo, Rizal to record the time of my no dismount climb to Shotgun.

From Novaliches, I pedaled all the way to the bike parking along C6 in front of the entrance to Shotgun Avenue.

After resting for a few minutes, I started my slow ascent to Shotgun. From the bike parking, it's about 4.2 up to the trailhead to Mt. Maarat. I reached the trailhead in 47 minutes and 30 seconds with no dismount.



After a few minutes of rest, I went back to my starting point.

Thereat, I contemplated whether to climb Timberland. I decided to. From the same starting point, the gate of Timberland Heights is about 2.2 kilometers. I slowly pedaled and reached the gate in 24 minutes and 30 seconds. It's 30 seconds longer than my climb last Sunday.

A few months back, I learned the art of climbing uphills from an older biker with no or minimal dismounts. When I first applied the trick at Shotgun, it's really effective. It's the first time I climbed Shotgun with no dismount. Thence, I've been climbing Shotgun and Timberland with no dismounts.

The trick is - pedal slowly or very slowly even to the point that your wheels would stop rolling upward. Thence, start building your power, strength, stamina to increase your climb speed.

Before, my best record for climbing Shotgun was with 2 dismounts / rests.

Now, I started recording my climb times to monitor my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment